Building The Shed
     The present home studio has been a project started about 2 years ago. I had been out of the radio business for quite a few years and on a chance meeting with Kurt Kelly ( who was in L..A. we got to talking about the old days at 'JML'. Kurt persuaded me to get into the voice business and suggested I sign up with Voice123. Radio had been my first love and doing commercial production was a creative process that I still had a yearning to do.
     The first studio started in my computer room. It was a pretty basic affair cobbled together with an equalizer I had used in my Home Theater setup in the family room. I had a Superscope mixer that I had used when I did D.J. gigs and the microphone was an Electrovoice 667. It was one of a pair that I had bought from WJML when the station was sold in the mid 70's. Marvin Veurink was the engineer and recommended I buy them. He told me they were a steal at $100 for the pair. One was used in the main studio and the other in the production studio. To quote Marvin "...these are sturdy mics. You could pound nails with them and they'd never break.," The confines of trying to do studio work in a spare bedroom  limited me  considerably.. Ask anyone in the business and you'll understand that audio work had to be played back on serious monitor speakers at movie theater volume. What to do was the question.
  Garry Brill provided the inspiration to put a studio in an out building behind the house. Garry had hired me while I was working at KCOK in Tulare, California. He was building a new FM station in Atascadero, California and needed an announcer. He got more interested when I told him I had a First Class FCC license so I was tapped as station engineer. I moved around after a couple of years as other opportunities arose but we kept in touch. When Garry finally retired and sold the station he took the outdoor shed with him and built a studio in his back yard to produce a radio show for KPRL in Paso
Robles. Once a DJ always a DJ. The shed was a perfect idea. Next stop was Home Depot where I found an eight by ten building. My timing was right. The promotional sale for Tuff Sheds included two windows and included delivery and installation.
     The blank page can be a challenge to a writer or artist, but to a radio engineer it's a delight better than Christmas. Open studs quickly fill up with electrical, ethernet and audio cables. A trench to lay conduit for power and various types of cables to connect to the house were the first order of business. Here past experience in planning and knowing that there would be no way of dragging more  cables in after the trench was filled and the insulation and wallboard went up created an almost paranoid fear that I might out grown the planned cable lay. Some conduit went in to provide channels for possible later additions. Now was time to put up insulation wallboard and finally acoustic foam to create the sound booth..
Wanting to keep the counter top pretty much clutter free a roll around rack seemed to be a good idea especially when cables on the back of the equipment needed to be accessed.

Go to WJML page